Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Long Wait is Over

6:30am: Cellphone alarm clock woke me up... Checked some text messages from last night, went online for a few minutes... Crap my Yankees are losing again against the Boston Red Sucks.

6:45am: Took a bath... Prepared my spare clothes... Filled-up the van's water reserve for the radiator...

7:10am: Caltex Taytay Hi-way, loaded 200 bucks of diesel... This gasoline boy is taking forever to clean the windshield... Hohuummm...

7:40am: McDonald's Marcos Hi-way, Sausage McMuffin with Egg and Orange Juice... 2 cars ahead of me... Damn, I hope I won't be late for the 8am call time, I still don't know the place...

7:55am: Marikina Proper... Asked a yosi vendor if the road I'm taking is correct... Yes, Sto. Niño Baseball Field is just near... Wikimapia.org is indeed correct...

8:00am: Just in time baby, just in time... But wait, there's already a group playing... Uh oh, am I already late? Can't be... I approached the field... Whoa! They're a bunch of Koreans practicing too... Whew!

8:10am: Sent Justin Austria (Titans Captain) a text message... He'll be there in 10mins...

8:20am: Justin has arrived, as well as some members of the Titans Alabang team... The Koreans? I didn't know some of them will be our team mates...

Oh wait, what am I talking about? This is about Titans Baseball League '07. I am gonna be part of this event, playing for the Titans.

8:30am: Getting to know each other... Talked about baseball in general, the other members and stuff... Stretching, warming-up, 2 laps of jogging... Oh goodness gracious, Cap handed over a baseball mitt and the ball... Let's do some catch! I dunno what to feel... Baka mapahiya ako, it's been ages since I last did this... Whow! To my surprise and maybe him to, I can catch and throw... The best part of playing catch earlier? Cap commended me. Ang lakas ko daw bumato ng bola... On to some batting practice and then scrimmages... I got to hit for the 1st time in a game... Played defense (which I sucked big time) on the infield and the outfield...

10:00am: First break! OMFG! This weather's gonna kill me... Good thing I was wearing long sleeves training clothes with NY Yankees cap and Rudy Project shades... Tommy Song, the Korean team leader treated us all for some refreshments... By this time, I was already feeling weak... My arms, legs and shoulders are getting heavy... Can I just watch baseball on TV? :(

11:00am: Finally, we're done... After a few defense and offense drills, we're done! Aaaaaargh!

Yeah. The long wait is now over. After almost 15 years of waiting, I got to play baseball again. I thank my grandfather for having this in our genes. He was a star baseball player in our province of Quezon back in the days. Did you know that he used to play the upright bass guitar? I play the bass guitar too. It's all in the family.

Catch more of the Titans Baseball League '07 from April to May, Saturdays and Sundays at the Sto. Niño Baseball Field in Marikina! For more info, log on to www.titansbaseballclub.org.

No comments: